Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 58...Tuesday, 22nd March...From Dublin to London, via Wales

Remember this is a blog & it updates backwards! Go to the bottom and find the first post if you want to get the gist of this in sequence...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hardly slept last night as Hostels don't have early morning wake up calls & I thought the bus left for the ferry at 6.45am. Temp mild & a nice 12 C
Arrived at the back of the Bus station & found a bunch of people also waiting & then we all found out that Murphy had told us the wrong times! 

One hour later we set off on the bus (2.50 Euro) to the ferry in Dublin port to cross to Hollyhead in Wales, then catch a train to Bangor then change to a Virgin train to London. 
All up the trip will take about 2 hrs on the ferry, about 5 hrs all up on the trains...not much waiting as they drive you to the train stn from the ferry & the train changes happen on the same platform! Should be in London before 4pm.

Very efficient systems for traveling over here.
Am writing this as I travel thru the beautiful Wales countryside on a Virgin "train" ( I think they put the wrong sticker on the train...It's a bloomin' plane...it rockets thru the country at break neck speed!) It has WiFi & I am plugged in & on electricity too! How cool is that? Onya Richrd B!
And all of this for 38 Euro...from Dublin Ferry Port, ferry, train , bus, train, etc etc. They just herd you thru the gates & that's it...follow everyone else!

I think I'll close down for now as it's so pretty, I don't want to miss any of it as the sun is shining & I may get some good pics...Wales is like England, Ireland & Scotland all put together. Someone has been holding out on us!

OK...Am in the Hostel, just around from the Coach Station where I first came into London, a few weeks ago.
It's on Buckingham Palace Road, actually, just 1 house off the street & if I walk straight up from outside the door , I'll pass Buckingham Palace after about 15 mins.
Will load the latest pics now for you.
Temp 18 C in London today!
Am eating fresh plums, an apple, a banana & some pre packed fetta, olives & onions all spiced, herbed & oiled up in a packet for a pound. (one pound money ie!).


Sunrise over Dublin as we wait at the bus terminal to leave the Emerald Isle...

Arriving at the Ferry Terminal...


Watching one of the really big ferries depart...

It "spun a wheelie"& turned around & went on it's way...very fast.


Here's how we boarded the ferry...Up the car ramp, into the cargo hold & then up to the passenger decks!

Now it's us on our way...

Leaving Ireland, headed for Wales...
Don't like the look of that dark cloud on the horizon...
That large cloud was a fog! It enveloped us about 30 mins out & went 3 mins before reaching Wales. This is Wales.
Coming into port...
Just about in now...
In Hollyhead Port, Wales.

Our trip thru Wales went for miles along the coast line of the country.
Typical Welsh  houses along the railway line...
The rock fences extend right into towns...
It's rockier, dryer & not as green in all areas here in Wales...
I think this is one of the canals the Long Boats travel on...
Wild scenery in Wales...
Nice scenes everywhere...
Back to the neat, green, rock walled fields...
One side of the road is green as & the other side can be dry!
Look right in the middle of the water...There is a real house; Looked lived in too. What happens if the river rises?
I have never seen so many mobile/demountable type home parks. They run for miles & miles along the coast line.
Thousands of them. A local on the train said he had one & people use it for weekends & holidays...
That white line across the middle of the pic is mobile homes! They go on & on...
Then around the corner is a ship in the middle of a paddock! Some type of a wreck?
The white thing is a modern type pipe support...
Oh, shucks...I missed  the long boat. This is the canal it was on anyways!
The long boats are sort of like house boats & are everywhere thru' Wales & this part of England...
See the green fields & dry field next to it?
The train was very fast...I won't do train trips again. Buses are slower & go thru better scenery in non snow areas!

If you look hard, you can see left of the old shed, you can see a green long boat. I would like to do a week or so in one next time...
London! Looking out my Hostel window...5pm, Tuesday
The first time I've seen triple bunk beds! I'm on the middle one here...
Walking up to Tesco supermarket at sunset in London...

That's it!

Arrived safely in London, had tea & went to bed! My exciting first night in London. To-morrow I go to Phantom of The Opera & I'm looking forwards to that.
I also met a very clever lady I think who could become a great friend.
'Nite now...
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my travels...