Monday, March 07, 2011

Days 42 & 43...6th & 7th March...the Eagle Has Landed!

Remember this is a blog & it updates backwards! Go to the bottom and find the first post if you want to get the gist of this in sequence...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Well, that was some epic tripping I can assure you!
3 days to get from Interlaken, Switzerland to Edinburgh, Scotland.

I arrived Edinburgh at about 7.30 am this morning...Monday here.
Grabbed my gear & headed for the Hostel....about a km from the bus stn, but right down the main street!

Don't quite know how to do this as I was in London for the day yesterday & enjoyed that...
Maybe I'll start where I last left off.

Off on my way to London! That's my other backpack in the shadow...
A perfect day in Prague coming to an end...
Waiting at the bus terminal...
All ready for 2 more nights of traveling...
Pretty mod bus we had to get from Prague to London.
The French Border Control Centre at the border of Germany & France at 3am...or maybe 4am!
Arrival at the Chunnel entrance in France for the English Channel crossing just at sunrise.

I thought this was going to be a Ferry crossing& ran across the  "tarmac"to see the Chanel...This was not Callais but "Flockton"...not sure of the name. Will fix it later.
They generate their own power at this departure point...
...5 mins!
The Mega Bus had free WiFi & free hot choc, hot coffee & tea!


3 EuroTunnel Crossing (Chunnel) Videos go here...





We are on English soil!
Immediately the scenery is different.
The clouds came over quickly ...
House shapes are different...


Right from getting off the "underground channel train" & entering England, housing built up until it was everywhere. London sort of blends into every little village on the way in. About 2 hrs from Dover.
Still out of the bus window
More Church Buildings.
One place actually had a sign to tell us where we were...
Nice building
Quick: my first double decker bus!

Entering London Central...
Crossing the Thames River in London...

No one from the bus company told us what to look out for & I assumed this was the Tower Bridge as we went under it!
A bit of modern building in the middle of all the older buildings...
Just a pretty monument!


The Thames & their "SouthBank: area


If I was a cussing person, I'd say...bloody dead trees in the way again!
The London Eye from the bus, going fast.
A nice big building but no one seems to know what happens in it!
Big Ben...
?
Really nice buildings...will find out what they are when I go to London for 3 days.





The weirdest looking building I have ever seen (in the background behind the tree)
There it is again...
Not as fancy window treatment as some of the European windows, but nice anyways...
And suddenly, we have arrived at our destination. London!
I left my gear at the Station...3pounds 50p for each piece, so I left the big one & carried the other 2!


Some exclusive shops in this area.
Loved this! It's so cold outside, they give you blankets to wrap yourself in!

Found a really nice food store. Probably the best salad store I have seen...anywhere.

A nice little corner church.
Had to have the obligatory "Fish & Chips" in paper in England, so I bought a quarter of a chicken instead & chips for 2pounds 50 pence. A pound is $1.60 Ausd...

It was so yum after days of bus terminal ice-cream, rice crackers & cheese! I am just about numb I think by now. 2 days & nights of full on traveling.

When you first see these "hor ns" (rear vision mirrors) on the bus you think of a monster bug movie. They look really weird at first!
This is the Mega Bus depot at the bus station.
Plenty of info...
About to leave for Edinborugh at 11.15pm on Sunday night, arriving Edinburgh at around 7-8am. We had to put our clocks one hr back or forwards...
The bus was full, so they gave us a direct route to Edinburgh...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my travels...