Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 36...Monday, 28 Feb...Off to the Swiss Mountains...

Remember this is a blog & it updates backwards! Go to the bottom and find the first post if you want to get the gist of this in sequence...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Left Salzburg at 10am this morning & headed for a week or so in Interlaken, Switzerland, arriving at 7pm.
I had to catch the first train to Munich from Salzburg, then race around & catch another train to Zurich, then change again for a train to Bern, then finally board the train to Interlaken.
It looks pretty awesome, even in the dark!

Mens Bathrooms at Salzburg, YoHo Hostel. Clean as too & even has hair dryers!

It looks nice too in real life. Very small ante rooms to get undressed in, but that's normal in most Hostels.


Latest Gizmos in the showers too.


It was light enough to see up until the final hour...the best part! It looks like we came around a beautiful lake for about 30 mins & then arriving here it looks like there's massive mountains outside my top floor bedroom window, covered in snow.
I'm in a room with a girl who is leaving in the morning.
The bed has a real mattress inner spring & a small (our style) feather pillow! The guy running it is an Aussie from Perth, so I guess he knows what we like anyway!
All the beds so far have been foam mattresses on board bases & that's been Ok. 
The pillows are those gigantic European things & the last 2 hostels have had brand new pillows & doonas, so everything crackled, as new stuff does.
No complaints, but now I have a real pillow & a real mattress & this room has an ensuite! Our own shower & loo.
It's a 4 bed dorm, up in the attic tower with a curved staircase leading up & a sloping ceiling inside! 
All is good...will talk later.
Hope Peter's birthday went OK yesterday.
Was thinking of you Pete, all day.
First thing I did here was to jump on the WiFi & make sure it worked!
It does, so I'm one happy camper again.

Leaving Munich Station. I nearly missed this train as I got off at another "Munich" stn about 10 k from the HB one. I got off at Hfb...Duh...a train stn is a train stn, isn't it? Anyway some guy raced me to another platform & said to go another 7 stops & get off at HB instead. I had 14 mins to connect trains at Munich & with my mistake I lost 12 mins. Just made it. Otherwise, I'd have forfeited my ticket, as there's no refunds etc on the type of ticket I bought!

I thought these German/Swiss trains were a bit of all right & promptly found out I had stowed away in First Class for 50 miles or so!

Snow all gone. Between Zurich & Bern, out the train window...

This looks like grape vines?

The train went over the bridge to the station & came back again to continue, so I was able to get 2 nice slower shots!

A massive lake at Lindau...It is huge, like an inland sea & goes on for miles & miles.

Looks like the snow has all gone, except in the higher regions now. The grass does not burn off under the snow.

Coming into Zurich, Bern or Munich!...

I was so excited I captured this shot. Even racing by & thru' a train window on a cloudy day, it came out OK!

Most of the older buildings throughout Europe appear to be of similar designs.

Super Fast Swiss Train

Ooooops! I thought it said...Office Works!...Oh well. I arrived in Interlaken at around 7pm.   69Euro for the 9 hr train trip thru the Austrian, German & Swiss countryside from Salzburg, Munich, Zurich, Bern & finally Interlaken. At on stage I was in 3 different countries in a 3 min period on the train a girl told me...great trains, nice people everywhere I go. Off to find the Hostel, which is supposed to be 5 mins walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my travels...