Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Tuesday, 8th Feb, Day 16...Vienna to Prague

Remember this is a blog & it updates backwards! Go to the bottom and find the first post if you want to get the gist of this in sequence...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It was with sadness that I left my comfy home of the past 2 weeks & headed for the bus station, via the trains this morning...
Arrived in time to do the passport flashing again...we do cross international borders...and got a window seat for the 4 hour bus trip to Prague. 
Again, I was amazed at the flat country surrounding Vienna, heading towards the inner European cities.

We saw some undulating land for a change. The sun rises late over here & the hazey type fog goes about mid day & all the ground is white with frost...so these pics are dull as!


Just a general road scene!

Sorry about the post...can't choose in the bus, what it passes!

Weather was a nice 8-11 C all the way...the bus temp gauge, near the clock, said so! The sun came up to a cloudless sky & we motored on, thru more wind farms & the tiniest of little houses in villages along the way.

About 2 & half hours towards Prague, the trees & bushes changed into pine forests, not unlike those in Aus.
They were shorter & fatter, a different type of pine, but  it made for a greenish pic & not just black & white!

It actually got cloudy as we went over a few hills, then sprinkled for 10 mins, then blue sky again as we drove into Prague. It's a big thriving metropolis, by the looks of things.

A nice building on a hill outside of town...

Have never seen so many trucks on the road...

A brightly coloured housing estate on the outskirts...

Will do a day tour on the weekend or there abouts, as I just want to settle down & catch up with my soul.
Found the Hostel OK...had to learn their underground rail system here, as it's different to Vienna, which is different to Budapest, yesterday & then to-day I took on Prague's Train & tram system.




A lady buying her train ticket at the ticket window asked me where I was from & if I had Czeck money & I  told her no, as I thought they used Euros here, so she bought a ticket for me & said it's easier than hassling trying to change money etc. She said the ticket only cost about 1 E equivalent Kcz. (Krone...Czeck)
How sweet of her...she was from Brazil. I gave her a 5 Euro note for her kindness.

This hostel is older, but has been a wonderful old hotel, by the looks of things.
It's cozy & clean & the pillow is really comfy, so I'm looking forwards to a great sleep to-nite.
There's only a small amount of backpackers in here at the moment, so they've put us all in a few rooms on 2 floors. They have 2 buildings, with 4 & 6 floors.
Imagine my surprise when I found I was in a 5 bed dorm (which I ordered), but it's a mixed one!
It's full of boys!
They are from Dominica, Switzerland, France & Hungary.
They are all students of something or other & are all about 24-34 yrs of age.
They all have their laptops going & it's so strange as the silence is broken only by everyone clacking away on keyboards etc.
3 of the boys leave tomorrow & I have the option of going into a 3 bed girl dorm on Thursday.

They also have a kitchen here & you can cook real food.
That's the only downer with the Hostel in Vienna...no kitchen.
You could boil that antique urn I showed you, but that was it!

Will go & sort out my Euros into Czech money in the morning & pay the hostel here too.
Heritage Blg Scty was down for 4 hrs maintenance from 11pm tp 3am your time, which was when I needed to change some money here. I'll have another go shortly. It's 5am yr time now...I add 3hrs & take off half a day to find out the time here, so its 8pmish here. Exactly, one of the boys just checked for me.

Here's a few pics I took on the way here to-day.

Our 10 min potty break...the trip is over 4 hrs, so we get one! Check out the sign...Break it up into syllables & say it out loud...It's a bit rude, but so funny when read out loud with the following pic too!

Couldn't resist this one! Sorta goes with the other one...

I got in contact with my friend Bill & will meet him as soon as possible. Probably nearer the weekend, as I need to wash my clothes properly in a machine, which they have here. His wife is the Opera singer, I've mentioned before.

Not much else to say today.
Spend to-day...5 Euro for the lady from Brazil who bought me a train ticket!
A "nice" story on the side of the cafe at the potty stop area...

A vineyard as the sun was rising...about 100 km from Vienna.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my travels...