Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Day 18, Thursday, 10th Feb... Stocking up in Prague.

Remember this is a blog & it updates backwards! Go to the bottom and find the first post if you want to get the gist of this in sequence...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, it turns out that $1 Aussie dollar is worth 17.766 Cz (Czech money) and 24  or so for a Euro.
I'm having fun converting Euros to Hungary money, then Czech money, all from Aussie money...It's a bit confusing at times to say the least. I have half of my Xmas present money left so I bought a few things at the Winter sales today.

Bought the long awaited pair of boots to-day. They have so many long legged pairs of boots over here, right up & over the knees too. My little legs are too big for their slender styles, so I ended up choosing a nice pair of ankle boots.
Nah, not them...

Now this is more my style...a bit too exposed for the snowy weather here tho, altho the gold ones at the back did fit nicely!

Ended up getting these little ones. They are comfy & I wore them out of the shop & felt like a real human again, after wearing joggers for 2 weeks... aaaarghhh!
Then I had to buy another travel bag as my little black one with the wheels is no more!
It's wheels & handle fell off the other day in Vienna, so as I had decided to look for a bigger one, it was handy that it died when it did!

Now, this was a surprise! It was a large chicken salad (I had no idea what it was... it looked like egg, but was chicken!) for $2 Ausd & the cherry pie was the same price. I was so hanging out for some lettuce. It was lettuce, chicken in a type of dressing, half a slice of tomato & an olive! I demolished the salad in a hurry & ate the cherry stuff & threw away the pastry. Wheat, remember?

Selling off this season's gear...They love % over here.


Inside the shopping centre. I didn't get to a shopping centre in Vienna. I was Palace-ing only there!


Next seasons gear...

Well, I never !

In the big TESCO store food things were similar prices to Australia, with a few exceptions.
I couldn't find those little 85cent Piccolos here, the closest are 60 Cz, which is $3.50 Ausd or 2.50 Euro!
Vodka etc are similar to Vienna prices, but over all, wines etc are more costly here.

Check out the lovely shaped booze bottles over here. 74,90 Cz is about  $4.40 in AUSD or 3.12Euros. 99 is $5.80
Going into this Tesco supermarket's bottle aisles was an education! It was like a huge Dan Murphies! I have never seen so much wine...so many different types of bottles too. Beautiful bottle shapes, some with handles, woven patterns in glass on them. There were some beautiful labels too.It's still a shock to see booze in a supermarket & corner store.
I passed a few wine shops on the way home & they had people standing around drinking glasses of wine & buying it. It wasn't a wine tasting or anything like that, just how they do it over here.

Found a shelf full of Australian wines! You know how to convert now...17 Cz to 1 Aussie dollar!










The SPAR super markets in Austria seem a heaps better buy than here! I'm amazed at Prague's standard generally. They seem higher up the economic ladder than Budapest, probably very similar to Vienna, but not as cultured. They have a seemingly different style of "people socially gathering". The bar type places where people meet are crowded & it was only early Wed night!

This one blew me away! 15Cz for a litre of wine. It's cheaper than fruit juice!...Not even a dollar! I don't like white wine or red all that much & haven't bought any, other than the little one the first night I was in Vienna. Other than that I want to stick to the little piccalos. I find one is just right, but I wouldn't buy any to-day, or yesterday, as they are too expensive here! I spent about 2 hours looking for something, but nothing took my fancy...really!





Want fresh fish? They sell them here in TESCO!
This was a nice chocolate shop. I bought 3 little chocs, pic following for 99 Cz & nearly fainted...Almost 6 Aussie Dollars! So I'm eating them VERY slowly...


I thought it would be really cheap, seeing as Hostels range in price from about 4 Euros a night to about 12 or so...I'm a bit shocked, as it could have been heaps cheaper to stay in Vienna! But here has a kitchen & it was 3 Euro a night cheaper than Vienna. So I get my new boots for free from the money I'll save on accommodation for 14 nights!
My boots were 700 Cz, = $41 Ausd. & my new trolley bag was 499 Cz = $30, which was Ok I guess. Then I bought a nice top & cardigan to match (Lola, a twin set) for just under $10 Ausd each. They sort of match my new boots. Then I must buy a new pair of pants with pockets in them (the zipp just broke in my nice grey ones I loved to-day) & now I have only one pair with pockets. You must have pocket pants for traveling around.

Just had to check out those shoes again! Ohhhh, sigh...



I'll have to be careful & search around for a SPAR type supermarket & check their prices. I'd really like a little piccolo of bubbles. They aren't into sparkling wine, like in Vienna. Here they are more into spirits & wine, wine, wine!
My very expensive first purchase in Prague! $6 AUSD for 3 little nut chockies...


Tomorrow I go grocery shopping. That will be a challenge, as everything is in hieroglyphics!

Total spend to-day not included as I'm using Xmas gift money my family gave me for Xmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my travels...